| |

Places of interest and destinations of an excursionMarveling and discovering

The Mausoleum ...

... was built between 1860 and 1869 according to the plans of Viennese architect professor Moritz Wappler. It served as a burial place for Archduke Johann of Austria and his family. It is one of the earliest and without doubt the most distinguished sacred building in the Neo-Gothic style. The building was constructed of red sandstone and granite from the Ifinger region. The underground crypt chapel, along with its heavy ribbed vaults, contains the Archduke Johann’s and his wife’s marble sarcophagus.

The Castle Schenna ...

... is open for guided tours. Only the wing containing the private rooms of the count’s family remains closed to the public. The halls and grand chambers are home to a painting and portrait gallery, a weapons collection, as well as numerous historical art objects of Tyrolean history.

The Old Parish Church ...

... was rebuilt in Roman style during the 12th and the 13th century and again fully redesigned during the 16th century. Since then, little has been changed. The Baroque high altar with the statues of Franz Xaver and Johann Nepomuk was built around 1730 and redesigned in 1819. Apart from the four altars in the church, there are a number of valuable individual sculptures such as the late-Gothic Saint Sebastian and the Baroque Saint John the Baptist. The cross stations originate from the middle of the 18th century...

Useful information: www.schenna.com/excursion